Preferential treatment of foreign citizens’ stay in Russia
On June 15, 2021, the Russian President signed a new decree on temporary measures for foreign citizens and stateless persons. The document establishes measures that provide a preferential treatment for foreign citizens’ stay in the RF. In particular, from June 16, 2021, the following temporary changes to the current migration legislation have been introduced.
1. Until expiration of 90 days from the date of cancelling temporary restrictions on transport links with the foreign state, the citizen of which is a foreigner or in which he/she has the right of permanent residence, the Decree has suspended the terms of the following:
- temporary stay in Russia of foreign citizens and stateless persons who are in Russia and have citizenship or a residence permit of a foreign state or other document confirming the right to permanent residence in a foreign state;
- registration at the place of stay of such foreign citizens or stateless persons;
- visa and migration card;
- temporary and permanent residence permits valid as of March 15, 2020, if foreign citizens and stateless persons holding these documents are outside Russia.
2. Valid work permits for highly qualified specialists who have been outside Russia for more than 6 months are not canceled until 90 days from the date of cancelling temporary restrictions on transport links with the foreign state, the citizen of which is a foreigner or in which he/she has the right of permanent residence.
3. From June 16 to December 31, 2021, the period of temporary or permanent residence of foreign citizens in the RF, the period of their registration at the place of residence, as well as the validity period of the refugee certificate and certificate of temporary asylum on the territory of Russia are suspended.
4. Foreign citizens and stateless persons have the right, until September 30, 2021 inclusively, to apply to the Ministry of Internal Affairs to settle their legal status or to leave Russia before that date without applying sanctions to them by the RF state authorities. This rule is applicable to those who arrived in Russia before March 15, 2020, and as of June 16, 2021 have no legal grounds for stay or reside in Russia.
5. Regardless of the declared purpose of the visit to the RF until December 31, 2021, citizens of the EAEU member states may conclude labor and civil contracts. Regardless of the purpose of entry into the country, foreigners from the countries with visa-free regime will also be able to apply for a patent (its re-issuance), including without taking into account the requirements for the established deadlines for filing documents for the patent processing.
6. Until December 31, 2021, employers will be able to apply for the issue (renewal) of work permits for the foreigners from the countries with visa regime, regardless of the purpose of their entry into Russia. However, for this purpose the employer should have the permission to engage foreign employees and comply with all the restrictions and measures aimed at ensuring people’s sanitary and epidemiological well-being.
Source: Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of June 15, 2021 “On temporary measures to regulate the legal status of foreign citizens and stateless persons in the Russian Federation while overcoming the consequences of the spread of the new coronavirus infection (COVID-19)”.